The MEGA pitch went really well! Unfortunately, none of the broadcasters or entertainment types Justin invited actually showed! True, the pitches were happening right in the middle of the work day, but still… not good enough, ABC and SBS. You really had something better to do?…
TEN THINGS THE REPS FROM THE ABC MIGHT HAVE BEEN DOING INSTEAD OF ATTENDING MY PITCH
- Flicking through lists of reality shows, trying to find ones they can buy or produce that are superficially “classier” than the ones on the commercial networks
- Watching the hot new young guy, Tino, on Gardening Australia, touching selves lightly
- “Lefty shit”
- Repeating the word “vodcast” over and over while staring, shirtless, into a mirror
- Thinking about where they were the day The Glass House got axed
- Establishing exciting new online initiative, closing down yesterday’s
- Ironing wrinkles out of Triple J presenters
- Searching for an even more wanky way to say “documentary” than “factual programming”
- Commissioning somethingorother
Obviously I kid. I do it because I love them so!
I’m going to do a video of the pitch so you (and they) can see what I presented on the day.
Meanwhile: it’s about time to make this John Farnham-related Precinct short I’ve been talking up for a while. Now that MEGA’s over I’ll have time to finish off the animatic. Then, it’s animation time.
I’d love to get it done over the holidays, but I can’t do it all myself. What I’m thinking is that I’ll set aside some money and hire on some help! I know a lot of animators who are suddenly out of work…
The problem, of course, is that I can’t afford to pay people what they’re worth (or even what they’re used to being paid, which is another, lower, amount). I’m thinking that maybe I could assign individuals a maximum of one or two shots, to minimise the pain.
Not that I’m against abusing animators. They should just know they’re going to be abused before they sign up!
The Precinct: Playing To Win is going to be an “illegal” short, too, in the sense that it’ll be using copyrighted music by John Farnham. The idea is that w’re going to show it to John Farnham and he’ll like it enough to agree to get involved with the show (i.e. sing the theme song!). It so badly needs him.
[kml_flashembed movie="http://nakedfella.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/0b-Playing-to-Win.swf" width="512" height="288" allowfullscreen="true" /]
So: can you animate like this?